Building Permit FAQs

When is a Building Permit Required?

  • For any Demolition
  • For any Swimming Pool, except those that are dismantled each season.
  • For any Renovation, Addition or New Construction
  • For any substantive change that does not involve replacement-in-kind, e.g. installation of vinyl siding over existing siding or in place of old siding.
  • For any Plumbing, unless it involves simple repairs of faucets or valves or clearing a stoppage. The plumber must be licensed by the State of New Hampshire.
  • For any Electrical work - electrician must be a licensed Master by the State of New Hampshire.

When is a Building Permit Not Required?
Minor alterations, repairs and general upkeep of existing buildings, e.g. replacement of in-kind roofing.

What Building Standards apply in Hampton Falls?
The governing Building Codes in Hampton Falls are those of the 2015 International Code Council and the NFPA Life Safety Code. Click HERE for State Building Code enforced.

What is the process for applying for a Building Permit?
In addition to the Application for a Building Permit, the following items must be brought to the Building Inspector, when applicable:

  • Plot plan showing building and wetland setbacks, septic reserve areas and well location.
  • An NH-DES approved septic system plan.
  • Complete set of building plans. (signed and stamped for structures over 2000 sq ft)
  • An approved Driveway Permit. (Approved by the Road Agent or the NH DOT)
  • A construction cost estimate for the entire project including the septic system, well and driveway costs.
  • Electrical and Plumbing Permits are to be applied for by the installation contractors.
  • Oil Burning Equipment Permit is to be applied for by the installation contractor from the Fire Department, when applicable.
  • An NH-PUC approved Residential Energy Code Application.
  • All Planning Board pre-conditions, Zoning Board of Adjustment conditions and/or any state or federal permits must be completed to the satisfaction of the Building Inspector before a building permit can be issued.
  • Land use change taxes have been assessed and paid, when appropriate.